Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Hicks House And Genealogy Report Update

Readers,

I have received an email from a genealogist in Florida that has been hired to research the Hicks family. This is interesting reading. Check it out:


Dear Mr. Tucker:

My name is Robert Aswell and I am a genealogist who has been researching the family of Dr. John Howell Hicks for my client, his granddaughter, Robbie Hicks.

I happened upon your website and subsequent articles about the Hicks House on Dixie Highway and, needless to say, am astounded, angry and heartbroken.

For your information, here's a bit of the family history:

Dr. John Howell Hicks, son of Hendrick Hicks and Sarada Carby, was born 24 DEC 1882 in Millerstown, Grayson County, KY and died 7 NOV 1960 in Jefferson County, KY. He married Albennie "Bennie" Embry about 1906 and had two children, one being Stanley W. Hicks (born 1912) whom you mentioned in one of your online articles. I am doing the family research for Stanley W. Hicks' daughter.

Dr. Hicks had two brothers:

Elmer Haden Hicks, born 8 DEC 1886 in Millerstown, Grayson Co., KY
Clydus Cloy Hicks, born 3 MAR 1892 in Big Clifty, Grayson Co., KY

It would be interesting to know which one of them erected the "Jesus Saves" sign. I may be able to find this and much more information for you from my client...

I can supply you with a myriad of tidbits, including a copy of Dr. Hicks' WWI Draft Registration Card (dated 12 SEP 1918), his ancestors' residences from 1850, Leitchfield, Grayson County to their relocation to Louisville circa 1920.

From what I've gathered, the Hicks family residences were as follows:

1900: Millerstown, Grayson Co., KY

1910: 374 Pike Street, Woodburn, Warren Co., KY (Dr. Hicks was a Railroad Station Agent)

1918: Leitchfield, Grayson Co., KY (Physician in Leitchfield)

1920: 524 28th. Street, Louisville (Physician)

1930 - 1937: Residence: 4136 Market Street, Louisville (Dr. Hicks owned this home): Business: 524 28th. Street, Louisville. (from the 1937 Louisville City Directory). Physician.


WWI Draft Registration Card:

Registration Place: Leitchfield, Grayson County, Kentucky
Registration Date: September 12, 1918

NAME: John Howell Hicks

HOME ADDRESS: Leitchfield, Grayson, Kentucky
AGE: 35
DATE OF BIRTH: December 24, 1882
OCCUPATION: Physician (M.D.), Leitchfield, Grayson, Kentucky
NEAREST RELATIVE: Albennie Hicks, Wife

Tall Height, Stout Build, Brown Eyes, Black Hair
_______

If you are interested in any further information please don't hesitate to contact me. I will get in touch with Dr. Hicks' granddaughter shortly and see if she can shed some light on the old Hicks House. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I have a minor correction to his research. Dr Hicks ( my great grandfather) had four children. In addition to Stanley and John II, he had a daughter Gay Brilla Hicks b. 1909 ( my grandmother) and another son who died in infancy I believe around 1.I need to ask my mother his name. In addition to being a physican he was also a teacher. That is where he met his wife Bennie.

    Do you know if the house has already been burned? I would like to take some photos before it is gone. I would love to know more about my family. Possibly get in touch with Stanley' s daughter?
    Thanks, Leah Montgomery McMahan
    leah1443@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Stanley Hicks, daughter Robbie. When I spoke to Robert Aswell, he was at work, he works with my granddaughter Kristy who is very interested in her family history. The info I gave Robert wasn't exstremly involved, and I haven't gotten in touch with him since I've been back in town. email; dfrady@tampabay.rr.com PS, Mr.Tucker In your article I read in June, said your wife lived on the farm when she was a child. What was her maiden name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grandauter of Arthur Marion Hicks, any kin, any info please contact me at pettylil_angeleyes@yahoo.com thanks

    ReplyDelete