Tuesday, June 09, 2009

New Bethel "Open Carry" Commentary


When this story about carrying guns in church floated to the top of the water, my phone rang incessantly. I tried to ignore the hype. I was on vacation, you know. At first I thought it was some organized practical joke effort by my professional and highly-trusted Advisory Board. I figured there was no way a church in my neighborhood would put on this half-cocked craziness. Naturally, I was wrong.

They are having a raffle at New Bethel Church on Gun Day, June 27. You can win a handgun. On this day you can also take part in the "false idol" worship of the almighty handgun, an activity that seems to be on the rise in "churches" across America. There, I said it. It is false idol worship.

People picnicking and going to church while strapped with "unloaded" handguns is odd in the worst way. It is like seeing pictures of children at a Klan rally dressed in miniature robes. It is indoctrination of the worst kind into a world of paranoia and fear. This is not a church service. It is a political rally, and it should be exposed as such. The website that explains the service is located HERE. I don't see anything about God or Jesus or peace or love or faith on that page.

This is just the latest embarrassment for Southwest Louisville and Valley Station. Is there hope for us? Let me know. Fire away in the comments section.

3 comments:

  1. They are changing their motto from--What would Jesus do? to --- Who would Jesus shoot?
    T.S.Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you calling this what it really is. I enjoy your website, please keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BT, I couldn't agree more with you.

    T.S. Keith, LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete