Friday, October 24, 2008

Are These Pain Pills Wearing Off?

Three weeks ago I suffered a broken leg while trying to help a family member with some left over storm debris. My wife took me to the emergency room at Sts. Mary & Elizabeth Hospital. I was feeling some pretty strong pain. As my wife signed me in and I sat wincing in a broken wheelchair, I looked around the ER lobby. It was full. It was, after all, a Saturday evening, and what better place to spend your weekend than in a crowed room with your fellow man? The emotionless receptionist sat stoic, waiting patiently for my insurance card. As I listened to the crowd coughing and sneezing in the ER, some things became apparent to me that I think most people don't think about very much.

- I was the only person in the ER that had a broken bone.
- I was the only person that had an actual "emergency".
- If these people had access to insurance, THEY WOULD NOT BE IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM.

Just think...if they had insurance, I would be the only one in the ER and I would be seeing a doctor almost immediately. What a concept...

So we have got to get a system that covers everyone. Not for my sake, but for theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment